It is with great pleasure that we announce that Mapulana Maponya joined us as a director on 1 April 2013.
Mapulana has been practising as an attorney in the commercial field for the past 20 years. He was also the co-founder of the well-established Pretoria law firm Maponya Inc.
He holds a B proc and LLB degrees and his areas of interest include commercial and corporate work, mining law, commercial litigation, mergers and acquisitions, and conveyancing.
Recent transactions Mapulana was involved with include:
- Corporatization and privatization of Protekon;
- Corporatization and privatization of Denel;
- Gateway Airport in Limpopo – Mapulana acted as an advisor to the Limpopo Provincial Government in the drafting of agreements and negotiated the Concession Agreement with a Malaysian SEP (Strategic Equity Partner);
- Krokodilkraal Co-Owners – Mapulana acted for the Krokodilkraal Co- Owners (Community) in negotiations of a stake in Vametco Minerals Corporations, a Canadian Company which is mining vanadium in the community’s land;
- Polokwane Ext 28 JV transfer of over 700 stands (Residential Area) to individuals (conveyancing);
- legal Advisor to Mamphoku Makgoba Community Trust with regard to their land claim worth more than R200 million. The claim includes Timber and Citrus Fruits more than 2000 Hecters, including Sepekoe Tea Plantation;
- legal Advisor to Tubatse Women in Mining Consortium for the sale of 5% stake in ASA Metal (Pty) Ltd worth over R250 million;
- Aventura Resorts – Mapulana worked extensively with the employees and unions with regard to drafting of new employment contracts which would be in line with the new entity, namely, Forever Resorts (Pty) Ltd. He also advised the outgoing employer, the new employer, the employees and the unions with regard to the provisions of the labour laws and related legislation for purposes of amending some of the existing clauses on the employees employment contracts to suit the new entity;
- NDPP – Advised and litigated on behalf of NDPP, Public Protector, Auditor General and the Department of Defence with regard to the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2 of 2000 regarding the landmark case of the R42 billion Arms Deal. He was a member of the legal team in the matter of C² I² v/s Minister of Defence and Others.
Mapulana is a member of both the Law Society of South Africa and the Black Lawyers Association.
Mapulana will be joining our Centurion office on a part time basis, and will be based in our newly established Melrose Arch Johannesburg office when this office is up and running. We look forward to the wealth of expertise and experience which he brings to us and we wish him a long and prosperous relationship with the firm moving forward.