Head of Tax
Carmen Moss-Holdstock is the Head of tax in the tax department. She specialises in financial services, mergers and acquisitions, international tax and value-added tax. She also has experience in the mining sector and has advised large mining companies. In particular, she advises South African corporates and financial institutions on their domestic tax issues in relation to, among others, group re-organisations, financing and mergers and acquisitions.
Carmen also advises South African multinationals in respect of the South African tax consequences arising from their inbound investment strategies/transactions into South Africa.
Carmen has acted for South African and foreign corporates, banks and financial institutions, including insurance companies. She also advises and assists clients with their ruling applications to the South African Revenue Service, their exchange control issues and assists clients with dispute resolution.
Carmen writes for various journals, notably the Business Tax and Company Law quarterly journal and Tax Talk. She has also lectured on tax at the University of Johannesburg. Carmen is also fluent in speaking isiXhosa.
- Corporate Tax
- Value-Added Tax
- International Tax
- Mining Tax
- Exchange Control
- Dispute Resolution
- University of Cape Town, South Africa, LLB
- University of Cape Town, South Africa, LLM (Tax)
- University of Cape Town, South Africa, M.Com (Tax)
- University of Cape Town, South Africa, PG Diploma (Company Law)
- University of Kwa-Zulu Natal (PG Diplomas: Income Tax, Value-Added Tax and Capital Gains Tax)
- Admitted Attorney, Cape Town and Johannesburg, South Africa
- Master Tax Practitioner, South Africa Institute of Tax Practitioners
- Member of South Africa Institute of Tax Practitioners Business Tax Committee
- Member of South Africa Institute of Tax Practitioners Value-Added Tax Committee