Myself and my colleague Lionel Andrews are off to San Francisco to attend a meeting of members of SCG Legal for 2 days.
In this short period of membership we already had an enquiry from a Canadian member firm, and we received a formal corporate law instruction from a Spanish member firm.
This is a very exciting venture for us for the following reasons:
- About 15% of our commercial work is for overseas companies and there is a huge gap in the market to develop this type of work. There are, in our opinion very few firms in South Africa specializing in advising foreign business’s expansion into South Africa;
- We are constantly increasing our skills and are exposed to other members from which we share information to enable us to learn best practices;
- To be able to advise clients better, collectively with member firms when client’s expand overseas;
- We always endeavor to refer clients or deal with their matters together with member firm colleagues we personally know;
- We are included in a trusted network of top commercial law firms in the world and have access to their clients;
- We are able to identify the best opportunities for our clients;
- We are afforded to opportunity to tell people what a brilliant place South Africa is; and
- We are put in a position to educate people that notwithstanding anything, that South Africa is a stable place to do business and for sure the springboard for development into Africa.
We will report feedback upon our return.